Jharkhand: 12 ‘lose’ vision after eye operation, Banna orders probe
Ranchi: Health minister Banna Gupta has ordered a probe following reports of 12 people losing vision after eye operation at a private hospital in Jharkhand’s Sahebganj district. Gupta’s office on Saturday announced that the local district administration has set up a six member team to inquire into the incident after his directives and submit the report within 24 hours.
According to information, several patients who got their cataract operated at a private hospital named Sewa Sadan earlier this month cried loss of vision on yesterday when they came for check-up. “A few patients came to hospital on Friday for removing their bandages after which the incident came to fore,” informed an official.
Sahebganj civil surgeon Arvind Kumar confirmed to have set up the probe team. “We are looking into it. Following directions from the health minister, a six member team is probing into the matter,” he said.
The team include district TB officer Dr Thomas Murmu, Dr Sarita Kumari medical officer of Barharwa community health centre, two eye specialists—Dr Iqbal Ansari (district hospital) & Dr Rajkumar Sah (Rajmahal sub divisional hospital), Amit Kumar, district data manager and Pravin Kumar Saxena, a clerk at CS office.
All the patients belong to below poverty line (BPL) category and were operated by the private hospital under Centre’s Ayushman yojana scheme, said the civil surgeon. The extent of the vision loss will be known after the team submits its report. “After that we shall decide further action,” said another official.